Avoidance tactics are often used as coping mechanisms to temporarily alleviate emotional pain associated with loss. Though in excess, your life begins to spiral.
In order to assist you with this we are doing a series of posts that delve into the eight most common avoidance tactics.
Today is day six and we are looking at:
DISTRACTIONS (Fantasy/TV/Netflix/Social Media)
Engaging in excessive distractions like watching TV, delving into fantasy worlds, or spending too much time on social media can help you temporarily escape you grief.
Whilst these distractions are not inherently negative, using them excessively to avoid facing emotions can hinder your healing process.
Some of the long term negative effects from indulging in this avoidance tactic can be:
Overindulgence in distractions can lead to reduced productivity, decreased self-esteem and a lack of emotional processing.
Neglecting relationships for distractions can lead to emotional distance and strain.
Decreased productivity due to excessive distractions can lead to job performance issues.
Subscriptions, online shopping and gaming can lead to financial strain.
To assist you to self-assess whether you are using these tactics to avoid dealing with your grief here are:
Five Contemplations for YOU to Ponder:
- Do I often find myself escaping into fantasies, TV, or social media to avoid dealing with my emotions?
- Is my use of these distractions increasing to the point where they interfere with daily life?
- Have I neglected responsibilities or personal goals due to excessive distractions?
- Do I feel emotionally numb or disconnected from my real-life experiences?
- Is it difficult for me to stay present and engage with my surroundings without distractions?
If you find that you are, please reach out to us for support and guidance, so we can assist you to transition to more loving and constructive grieving strategies.
Until we meet again, please remember that you are Simply the BEST!
Karen and Lesley
#DigitalDistractions #MindfulTechUse #BalanceAndHealing #RelationshipWellness #SupportAndGuidance